The castle was first mentioned in 1249. It was built on the left bank of the river Sava. The settlement Brežice grew around it. The castle was built in the Renaissance style, the hall and the staircase are decorated in the Baroque style. It houses the collections of the museum from Brežice from the fields of ethnology, archaeology, Baroque, modern history and many more. The castle also contains a gallery and several different halls.